GPars 0.12 released

Hello everyone,

we have some great news to all the parallel souls out there - GPars 0.12 has just hit the shelves. The new version comes with lots of big and small improvements, out of which these are the most notable ones:

  • Composable asynchronous functions
  • The newest version of Doug Lea's Fork/Join framework (aka jsr-166y)
  • Active Objects
  • Initial stub at Software Transactional Memory support using Multiverse

The full release notes will give you more details.
To quickly get up-to-speed with GPars, check out our updated User Guide, which is now also available in pdf format.

Your GPars team

Re: GPars 0.12 released

Wilson MacGyver
Congrats. FYI, the use guide link at
http://gpars.org/ still link to the 0.11 one.

On Jun 2, 2011, at 1:48 PM, Vaclav Pech <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello everyone,

we have some great news to all the parallel souls out there - GPars 0.12 has just hit the shelves. The new version comes with lots of big and small improvements, out of which these are the most notable ones:

  • Composable asynchronous functions
  • The newest version of Doug Lea's Fork/Join framework (aka jsr-166y)
  • Active Objects
  • Initial stub at Software Transactional Memory support using Multiverse

The full release notes will give you more details.
To quickly get up-to-speed with GPars, check out our updated User Guide, which is now also available in pdf format.

Your GPars team

Re: GPars 0.12 released

Thank you. I hope you'll get a chance to put your hands on the new version soon ;)

Vaclav

--
E-mail: [hidden email][hidden email]

Re: GPars 0.12 released

Wilson MacGyver
I intend to :) I'm curious to see how the STM compares with clojure.

on the activeObject, since it hides the detail that it's an actor
behind the scene.

so when you make a call, it returns right away. in the example, you'd
call the .get
method to get the result sometime later.

how do I know when it's done? in a actor system, you'd have two actors. and when
the first actor is done, it sends a message to the 2nd actor, which
upon receiving the
message, it does something with it.

but it's not clear to me how to do this with ActiveObject without
making it sync, which
would defeat the purpose in the first place.

Thanks

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 3:08 AM, Vaclav Pech <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you. I hope you'll get a chance to put your hands on the new version
> soon ;)
>
> Vaclav
>

> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 6:53 AM, Wilson MacGyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Congrats. FYI, the use guide link at
>> http://gpars.org/ still link to the 0.11 one.
>> On Jun 2, 2011, at 1:48 PM, Vaclav Pech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> we have some great news to all the parallel souls out there - GPars 0.12
>> has just hit the shelves. The new version comes with lots of big and small
>> improvements, out of which these are the most notable ones:
>>
>> Composable asynchronous functions
>> The newest version of Doug Lea's Fork/Join framework (aka jsr-166y)
>> Active Objects
>> Initial stub at Software Transactional Memory support using Multiverse
>>
>> The full release notes will give you more details.
>> To quickly get up-to-speed with GPars, check out our updated User Guide,
>> which is now also available in pdf format.
>>
>> Your GPars team
>>

>> --
>> E-mail: [hidden email]
>> Blog: http://www.jroller.com/vaclav
>> Linkedin page: http://www.linkedin.com/in/vaclavpech
>

> --
> E-mail: [hidden email]
> Blog: http://www.jroller.com/vaclav
> Linkedin page: http://www.linkedin.com/in/vaclavpech

Re: GPars 0.12 released

I intend to :) I'm curious to see how the STM compares with clojure.

I'm definitely curious to hear your feedback.

how do I know when it's done? in a actor system, you'd have two actors. and when
the first actor is done, it sends a message to the 2nd actor, which
upon receiving the
message, it does something with it.

but it's not clear to me how to do this with ActiveObject without
making it sync, which
would defeat the purpose in the first place.

Active Methods return a DataflowVariable, which you can use to obtain the real value once it is ready - either synchronously by the get() method, or asynchronously by passing your handler to the whenBound() (also >>) method.

calculator.calculate() >> {println it}

Thanks

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 3:08 AM, Vaclav Pech <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you. I hope you'll get a chance to put your hands on the new version
> soon ;)
>
> Vaclav
>

> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 6:53 AM, Wilson MacGyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Congrats. FYI, the use guide link at
>> http://gpars.org/ still link to the 0.11 one.
>> On Jun 2, 2011, at 1:48 PM, Vaclav Pech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> we have some great news to all the parallel souls out there - GPars 0.12
>> has just hit the shelves. The new version comes with lots of big and small
>> improvements, out of which these are the most notable ones:
>>
>> Composable asynchronous functions
>> The newest version of Doug Lea's Fork/Join framework (aka jsr-166y)
>> Active Objects
>> Initial stub at Software Transactional Memory support using Multiverse
>>
>> The full release notes will give you more details.
>> To quickly get up-to-speed with GPars, check out our updated User Guide,
>> which is now also available in pdf format.
>>
>> Your GPars team
>>

>> --
>> E-mail: [hidden email]
>> Blog: http://www.jroller.com/vaclav