Quantcast

GPars Web site revolution help sought

Russel Winder-3
We have been given notice that we have to move the current GPars website
off org,codehaus and it's Confluence. The question then is what and how.
The easiest is perhaps to use gpars.github.io and then make active use
of org.gpars (Václav owns this domain and has control of the DNS zones).
However, this requires transforming the Confluence-based material into
Jekyll-based material (a wiki-based system into a Git repository-based
system). It does though give opportunity for a style change, which
involves CSS. Or perhaps there is an alternative? I have assumed
gpars.github.io and set up the Git-base infrastructure.

GPars has no paid resources, so relies entirely on volunteer
contributions. What is needed is help from people who have Jekyll (HTML,
Markdown, CSS) experience to guide and/or help transform the wget dump I
have of the site from it's current form into something presentable.
Getting the content in place is first priority, then we can get into
styling: the former is likely easier since the metric is "is all the
material from the old site in the new site", the latter has the metric
"does Václav like it and approve".

Can anyone help or at least offer guidance to me.

Re: GPars Web site revolution help sought

Johannes Link
Russel,
What is the deadline for moving the contents? I'm not a Jekyll user,
but I do know the basics of MD and CSS. I can offer help with doing
some of the grunt work (of moving content) as soon as the basic
structure has been built up.

Johannes

> We have been given notice that we have to move the current GPars website
> off org,codehaus and it's Confluence. The question then is what and how.
> The easiest is perhaps to use gpars.github.io and then make active use
> of org.gpars (Václav owns this domain and has control of the DNS zones).
> However, this requires transforming the Confluence-based material into
> Jekyll-based material (a wiki-based system into a Git repository-based
> system). It does though give opportunity for a style change, which
> involves CSS. Or perhaps there is an alternative? I have assumed
> gpars.github.io and set up the Git-base infrastructure.
>
> GPars has no paid resources, so relies entirely on volunteer
> contributions. What is needed is help from people who have Jekyll (HTML,
> Markdown, CSS) experience to guide and/or help transform the wget dump I
> have of the site from it's current form into something presentable.
> Getting the content in place is first priority, then we can get into
> styling: the former is likely easier since the metric is "is all the
> material from the old site in the new site", the latter has the metric
> "does Václav like it and approve".
>
> Can anyone help or at least offer guidance to me.
>
> --
> Russel.

Re: [groovy-user] GPars Web site revolution help sought

Paolo Di Tommaso
A possible alternative, not free but extremely cheap (less than £ 1 / month I can suppose), is Amazon S3 which can be used to public static content.

In order to transform Gpars documentation from HTML to a different format, you may want to give a try to Pandoc, though I've never used to convert HTML documents.

Cheers,
Paolo

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 8:27 AM, Russel Winder <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dr Russel Winder      t: <a href="tel:%2B44%2020%207585%202200" value="+442075852200">+44 20 7585 2200   voip: [hidden email]
41 Buckmaster Road    m: <a href="tel:%2B44%207770%20465%20077" value="+447770465077">+44 7770 465 077   xmpp: [hidden email]
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

Re: [groovy-user] GPars Web site revolution help sought

Graeme Rocher-2
We are moving parts of the Grails site to be a static site. You can
find it here:

http://grails.github.io/grails-static-website/

It is a fork of the new Groovy website, the sources can be found here:

https://github.com/grails/grails-static-website

It is automatically published to Github Pages by a Travis job:

https://github.com/grails/grails-static-website/blob/master/travis-build.sh

The whole thing will be pretty low maintenance.

You could do what we did and fork it modify the images and content and
you're away.

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 8:27 AM, Russel Winder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have been given notice that we have to move the current GPars website
> off org,codehaus and it's Confluence. The question then is what and how.
> The easiest is perhaps to use gpars.github.io and then make active use
> of org.gpars (Václav owns this domain and has control of the DNS zones).
> However, this requires transforming the Confluence-based material into
> Jekyll-based material (a wiki-based system into a Git repository-based
> system). It does though give opportunity for a style change, which
> involves CSS. Or perhaps there is an alternative? I have assumed
> gpars.github.io and set up the Git-base infrastructure.
>
> GPars has no paid resources, so relies entirely on volunteer
> contributions. What is needed is help from people who have Jekyll (HTML,
> Markdown, CSS) experience to guide and/or help transform the wget dump I
> have of the site from it's current form into something presentable.
> Getting the content in place is first priority, then we can get into
> styling: the former is likely easier since the metric is "is all the
> material from the old site in the new site", the latter has the metric
> "does Václav like it and approve".
>
> Can anyone help or at least offer guidance to me.
>
> --
> Russel.
> Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:[hidden email]
> 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: [hidden email]
> London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

--
Graeme Rocher
Grails Project Lead
Pivotal

On Fri, 2015-01-16 at 08:50 +0100, Johannes Link wrote:
> Russel,
> What is the deadline for moving the contents? I'm not a Jekyll user,
> but I do know the basics of MD and CSS. I can offer help with doing
> some of the grunt work (of moving content) as soon as the basic
> structure has been built up.

Rumour has it that Codehaus will be switched off mid-February.

I am creating a Git repository from the wget of the Confluence material.
I will try and do all the material over the next few hours. The issue
then is making up page designs and checking the material is all present.
Help on these would be most welcome.

Current plot is to rely on Jekyll to transform Markdown pages to HTML
using whatever templates and CSS we come up with.

On Fri, 2015-01-16 at 09:16 +0100, Paolo Di Tommaso wrote:
> A possible alternative, not free but extremely cheap (less than £ 1 / month
> I can suppose), is Amazon S3 which can be used to public static content.

I think we will go with GitHub Pages for now. Having this idea as an
alternate is good though, thanks for suggesting it.

> In order to transform Gpars documentation from HTML to a different format,
> you may want to give a try to Pandoc, though I've never used to convert
> HTML documents.
>
> http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/README.html

In the end I went with html2markdown, but maybe I should have tried
Pandoc!

On Fri, 2015-01-16 at 15:22 +0100, Graeme Rocher wrote:

> We are moving parts of the Grails site to be a static site. You can
> find it here:
>
> http://grails.github.io/grails-static-website/
>
> It is a fork of the new Groovy website, the sources can be found here:
>
> https://github.com/grails/grails-static-website
>
> It is automatically published to Github Pages by a Travis job:
>
> https://github.com/grails/grails-static-website/blob/master/travis-build.sh
>
> The whole thing will be pretty low maintenance.
>
> You could do what we did and fork it modify the images and content and
> you're away.
If I read things correctly this is using a gh-pages branch in the
repository approach. This is needed for organizations that have multiple
repositories/projects and they need a site for the organization and one
for each repository/project. We have decided to eschew the gh-pages
branch approach and just use the organization website as the project
site. This allows us to use separate Git repositories for the website
and the software. Thanks for the proposal though, although we may not
take the whole thing, we'll certainly plunder it for good idea that we
can use :-)