Is it necessary to call .stop() on a Safe/Agent?

Is it necessary to call .stop() on a Safe/Agent?

jstell
We have some code utilizing gpars 0.9 that has instance variables which are Safe<Collection>s

We don't currently call stop() on any of these variables and are assuming that there's not currently a need to do any cleanup/finalization for Safe wrappers. Are we in error?

Is 'stop()' mainly to keep it from accepting additional messages? Or does it actually do some cleanup or thread termination?

Thanks!

Jason

Re: Is it necessary to call .stop() on a Safe/Agent?

Hi Jason,

I'm glad you find agents useful. As far as I remember in 0.9, agents did not need to be stopped. They definitely did not consume any threads when running nor were prevented from gc.
I'd, however, recomend switching to 0.10, to benefit from the major speed-up of agents. Also the stop() method is no longer available on them.

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 8:42 PM, jstell <[hidden email]> wrote:

We have some code utilizing gpars 0.9 that has instance variables which are
Safe<Collection>s

We don't currently call stop() on any of these variables and are assuming
that there's not currently a need to do any cleanup/finalization for Safe
wrappers. Are we in error?

Is 'stop()' mainly to keep it from accepting additional messages? Or does it
actually do some cleanup or thread termination?

Thanks!

Jason

Re: Is it necessary to call .stop() on a Safe/Agent?

jstell
Vaclav

Thanks for the clarification! Safe has proven to be very useful for us.
We will definitely move to 0.10. Just need to find some time to upgrade and accommodate API changes :)

Regards
Jason

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Vaclav [via GPars - user mailing list] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Perfect, good luck with the migration, Jason!

Vaclav

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:38 PM, jstell <[hidden email]> wrote:

Vaclav

Thanks for the clarification! Safe has proven to be very useful for us.
We will definitely move to 0.10. Just need to find some time to upgrade and
accommodate API changes :)

Regards
Jason

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Vaclav [via GPars - user mailing list] <
[hidden email]<[hidden email]>