Re: [groovy-dev] GPars on Android

Guillaume Laforge

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Roshan Dawrani <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Mic <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does GPars works on Android without Groovy's runtime library?

Interesting question. I'd interested in using it too, if it did.

Does it?

Would be nice to have the GPars expert answer this one...

But my fear it might not be possible, because the Java APIs are not complete and a lot of things are missing.
That's problematic for running Groovy itself (classes like some java.beans.* classes missing and more).
I don't know the codebase of GPars, but if it also requires such missing classes, it'll be difficult to run on Android.

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Re: [groovy-dev] GPars on Android

Russel Winder-3
On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 14:23 +0200, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Roshan Dawrani <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Mic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Does GPars works on Android without Groovy's runtime library?

'Fraid not. GPars requires Groovy.

> > Interesting question. I'd interested in using it too, if it did.
> >
> > Does it?
> >

> Would be nice to have the GPars expert answer this one...

Well I wouldn't classify myself as a GPars expert, that is Václav, but
as a proselytizer for GPars…

> But my fear it might not be possible, because the Java APIs are not
> complete and a lot of things are missing.
> That's problematic for running Groovy itself (classes like some
> java.beans.* classes missing and more).
> I don't know the codebase of GPars, but if it also requires such missing
> classes, it'll be difficult to run on Android.

Furthermore, GPars is not a pure Java system, it relies on the Groovy
runtime system as some parts of GPars are written in Groovy – it would
be a real pain to implement directly in Java (too much reflection).