using gpars with gradle

Sébastien Blanc
Hi all,

I'm actually working on quite big Flex project that uses a lot of Flex modules, we compile these using ant for now, but it's quite slow and the number of modules is increasing at each new iteration. We noticed that the ant process was only using 50% of our dualcore server. My team begins to really complain about this slowness.

At the same time I'm working with flex , I'm also a big fan of the gr8 technologies (Grails, Groovy, Gradle, GPars etc,,). I know it's possible to use gradle to compile flex projects and my idea was to combine it with gpars to use optimally the processors.

During the Grails Excchange in December, Russel Winter show us how it was possible to combine gant with gpars, I wrote him an email yesterday about my idea and that was its answer :

"An interesting question.  It really depends on what you mean by
integrate.

Gradle needs an ability to undertake parallel actions, a la -j option to
Make, SCons or Waf.  This would be a feature of the Gradle
infrastructure.  Whether Hans and Adam what to use GPars for this would
be for them to decide.  More likely would be to use JCSP directly or
even fight with Java threads directly.  The core issue here is
algorithmic, trying to partition the DAG to find the mutually
independent bits of build.  But we know that Make, SCons and Waf can do
this so it is tractible.

Within the imperative bits of a Gradle build specification GPars can
already be used -- though some care is needed.  But doing this too much
takes away from Gradle is doing and goes back just to what Gant is
doing."

Maybe I should post also on the gradle mailing list,

But I'm wondering if the community have some suggestions, tips, ideas !

Cheers,
Sébastien Blanc

Re: using gpars with gradle

Russel Winder-2
Sébastien,

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 21:20 +0100, Sébastien Blanc wrote:
> Hi all,

[ . . . ]

> During the Grails Excchange in December, Russel Winter show us how it
> was possible to combine gant with gpars, I wrote him an email
> yesterday about my idea and that was its answer :

ed <<EOF
s/Winter/Winder/
s/its answer/his answer/
EOF

:-)

[ . . . ]

> Maybe I should post also on the gradle mailing list,

I think this might be one of those situations where cross-posting would
be a good idea, but with the intention of the debate being on one list.
In this case I think this is more of a Gradle issue than a GPars issue
per se.  So perhaps we should move things over there, especially now
that the GPars community are aware there is a debate to be had.

[ . . . ]

Dr Russel Winder      Partner
                                            xmpp: [hidden email]
Concertant LLP        t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,   f: +44 8700 516 084   voip: sip:[hidden email]
London SW11 1EN, UK   m: +44 7770 465 077   skype: russel_winder

Re: using gpars with gradle

Dierk König
For simple cases (e.g. running thousands of webtests in parallel),
ant.parallel did the job for us.

cheers
Dierk